Vikram Sarabhai is son of Ambalal Sarabhai and Sarla Devi. Full name of Vikram Sarabhai is “Vikram Ambalal Sarabhai”. He had born on 12th August 1919. He was from a wealthy family which managed multiple textile mills. In 1942, he married Mrinalini who was a classical dancer.
- He did his higher studies in England after the intermediate exams passed.
- An Indian Physicist and astronomer. He is the one who initiated space research and also developed nuclear power in India. So, he became very attracted towards astro and physics.
- He is the founder of Physical Research Laboratory (PRL) in Ahmedabad on 1947. During this time, he was only 28. So, He was considered to be the youngest, greatest scientist and the father of Indian space program.
- In 1947, after earning his doctorate from Cambridge university and returning to India, he took care of charitable trusts which were controlled by his family. So, the successes where frequent in the path of his career and he went on achieving it.
- He was designated as President of Indian Science Congress in 1962 and so as with his own success, in 1970, he was the President of General conference of I.A.E.A, Vienna.
- In 1971, he was the Vice-President of Fourth UN Conference on ‘Peaceful uses of Atomic Energy. So, he had significant achievements in handling the most complex jobs.
His achievements were many during the year 1966 to 1971, and when he served for his Physical Research Laboratory (PRL). He became the chairman of “Atomic Energy Commission of India” during 1966 to 1971.
Institutions established by Dr. Vikram Sarabhai:
- Physical Research Laboratory (PRL)
- Indian Institute of Management (IIM)
- Community Science Centre
- Darpan Academy for Performing Arts
- Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre
- Variable Energy Cyclotron Project
- Space Applications Centre
- Faster Breeder Test Reactor (FBTR)
- Electronics Corporation of India Limited (ECIL)
- Uranium Corporation of India Limited (UCIL)
Out of many achievements, the establishment of Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) was the greatest achievements of Dr. Vikram Sarabhai. so, it is evident the contribution from him towards Indian space research is enormous.
“There are some who question the relevance of space activities in a developing nation. To us, there is no ambiguity of purpose…. We are convinced that if we are to play a meaningful role nationally, and in the community of nations, we must be second to none in the application of advanced technologies to the real problems of man and society“
- He received below awards for his achievements.
- Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Award in 1962.
- Padma Bhushan Award in 1966.
- Padman Vibhushan Award in 1972 (after his death).
Dr. Vikram Sarabhai passed away on 30th Dec, 1971. He died at the age of 52.
On his first death anniversary ie., on 30 December 1972, Indian Postal Department released a commemorative Postal Stamp in his honor. So, People who had passion of philately will surely have this stamp in their archives.
- Vikram Sarabhai initiated projects which lead to the development of India’s first artificial satellite that orbits the earth. So, these were stepping stones in the history of Indian Space research and development.
- Four years after his death, in July 1976 the Aryabhata was launched on Kapustin Yar. So, his achievements and contributions will be a boost to Indian space and research for ever.
- Even in recent time, the Lander on India’s moon mission “Chandrayan-2” was named as “Vikram Lander” in his honor.
Vikram Sarabhai’s Bust was unveiled on 12th Aug, 2004 at Antariksh Bhavan which is the head quarters of Indian Space Research Organization and Department of Space. It was the occasion of his 85th birthday. Prof. U R Rao (former chairman of ISRO) was the one who unveiled the bust of Sarabhai. So, this has been a significant mark for Vikram Sarabhai
Below given are the reference links related to the history of Dr. Vikram Sarabhai.
So, you want to know more on ISRO website: https://www.isro.gov.in/about-isro/dr-vikram-ambalal-sarabhai-1963-1971
So, If you want to know more on wiki: here is the link:
So, if you want toknow more on business journals: https://www.business-standard.com/about/who-is-vikram-sarabhai
Hope our short and brief notes on Virkam Sarabhai is very informative. If you find any information that is incorrect and needs to be corrected, kindly contact us on email@example.com. And so, We shall immediately correct the content after reviewing and validating your inputs.