Any Indian Citizen can apply for Ration Card. Any individual above 18 years can apply for the ration card. If the Person has not been attained the age of 18, then he/she can be included in the ration card of their parents.
The government of India issues ration cards to the people in India. It is also an identification of Indians. A supply of grains is given to people every month by the government under the national food security act.
What is ration card:
A ration card is registered card with the state government PDS department, which can be used for all the PDS transactions for families and their households. Depending on the criteria and family these ration cards are of different types example: yellow, green, and white, according to the state. These types vary between different state governments and each colored card or type of card has its own features and importance.
- orange cards are given to those whose income is above 15000
- 2.white cards are given to those whose annual income is below one lakh.
- green ration card for those pregnant women, nursing mothers, and children below five years.
When ration cards started:
Allaudin khilji started these ration cards. He has first introduced these type of cards to avail ration for families in that period.in the 1940s; it was introduced during the Bengal famines when people were largely affected by it. Before the green revolution during the 1960s, there is a massive shortage of food and grains during that time these rations are provided. After that it became a mandatory document for all families to avail ration from Government in the independent India.
There are two types of ration cards
Depending up on the state government the types of ration card varies, which carries its own features and importance.. Various state governments have various types of ration card which is given depending on the family type its financial status etc.
Information available in ration cards:
In Tamilnadu, there are different types of ration cards. Each ration card has its own purpose and it is provided to the families based on certain criteria. In general, all the ration card will bear a Ration card number registered with Government of Tamilnadu, along with the Family Head details and family members details. Type of ration card provided, date on which the ration card provided along with the seal of government authority.
With the digitization of services, the ration cards are now replaced by smart card, which is digitally generated and authenticated card provided to families. This smart card needs to be provided for all transactions in the PDS, while availing the Ration.
How to apply ration card online :
In Tamilnadu, we can apply for Ration card by following the below steps:
- Go to https://www.tnpds.gov.in/ Scroll down food and public distributive system
- Upload the pdf and enter all the details
- Click on the smart card application
- Click all the details in the application form
How to access ration card in mobile:
Any ration cardholder can dial in the IVRS dedicated number to know any transaction or information related to the Ration card with the state government. The ration cardholder has to press the designated number and enter the Aadhaar card number to cross verify the detail
Although the government is providing rations, there are many complaints raised by the public.
- The quality of the grains provided by the government is very poor.
- For many families, ration cards not yet offered.
- In some regions, rations don’t reach the people, and the black market sells it.
- In measuring process also there is a lot of fraud occurs and in weighing balances etc.
- The authority should raid the ration shops while distributing ration.
- Some more items should be included in rations.
Hope our article is helpful to understand and know about importance of Ration card. All the information provided in this article is for information only. If you feel the information is in violation of copyright policies or rights, Please email firstname.lastname@example.org. We will review your request and act accordingly.