MGNREGA means Mahatma Gandhi national rural employment guarantee act. It is started in the year of 2005. The main aim of this scheme is to provide work to the people in rural areas who volunteer to do unskilled labor. Under this scheme, the government should provide every individual of the family in rural areas 100 days of work in a financial year. It was first called as NREGA later it was changed to MGNREGA.
What is MGNREGA?
Mahatma Gandhi national rural employment guarantee act came into existence through the Gazette of India on September 7, 2005. In 2006 it came to force in 200 backward districts. It was first called NREGA. On October 2nd 2009, this scheme has been named as MGNREGA. P.V. Narasimha Rao, our former prime minister in 1991, proposed this scheme. Subsequently it has been implemented in 625 districts in India now. Later it was implemented in all districts from 2008.
What is the information available in MGNREGA?
MGNREGA scheme has been lauched in the year 2006. The website for MGNREGA has lots of information related to the Scheme, eligibility, works etc. Let us know more in detail.
Any person who lives in a rural area and above the age of 18 can apply for this scheme. Those involved in this scheme can get a job within 15 days. If there is a failure in giving jobs within 15 days, the government should provide payment to the job seekers. This scheme is only for rural people who are under the poverty line.
Works under MGNREGA:
Different types of work are given under MGNREGA like:
- Flood management work
- Agriculture and livestock
- Sanitation work
- Work in coastal areas
- Rural drinking water work and more.
Is MGNREGA a government website?
Yes, MGNREGA a government scheme that provides a 100 days job to the people under the poverty line.
How to access MGNREGA?
The person who is eligible for this scheme has to register first. The process for registration is given below.
- The registration should be done in the local gram panchayat.
- The forms are issued at the gram panchayat for free of cost. it’s illegal if they charge money for forms.
- You can register for MGNREGA through 3 different ways through the form or in a plain paper. If not possible, you register orally.
After filling the application, the gram panchayat starts verifying your forms. it is done as given under
- The applicant should be a rural living one.
- Those who applied should above the age of 18 years.
- Women living alone is given first preference and eligible for this scheme.
After doing the verification, job cards are issued to the persons selected for these jobs. This Job card is Required and must for all MGNREGA opportunities. This should be carefully kept as it is an identification of MGNREGA. It contains names and photos of all the members of the household.
Process in MGNREGA work:
- After registering in this scheme, you will get a job after 15 days of application. You will get a receipt on which date will be mentioned on which day you have work.
- You can apply for multiple jobs at a different time; the worker can specify the date and time you have to work a minimum of 14 days is necessary.
- If you don’t get any work after 15 days, you will get an allowance.
- Older people and women will be first given important in this scheme. One third should be female workers.
- Ten percentage of allowance is provided If the work presented is beyond 5 km of radius.
Facilities are given to who work under MGNREGA:
- The facilities like drinking water, medical facilities, resting place, and a caretaker for children below six years.
You can demand wage compensation if you are not provided work after 15 days .you can check muster rolls online through the website www.nrega.nic.in
MGNREGA is a good scheme taken by our government to decrease unemployment. in many states its working correctly, but in some, it’s not. The wages are not given properly, and the Complaints filed by the workers are not getting resolved with attention.
In some provinces, the people in close contact with landlords are given jobs. The job cards are not appropriately provided. If provided, it contains incomplete information. In most of the villages, many people don’t know about this scheme because of the lack of knowledge.
The current situation of this scheme is the wages provided are meager compared in different states than agricultural wages. Government has to review these shortcomings and take appropriate audit and action on the gaps with this scheme at village level.
Other than, these shortcomings and gaps, this scheme is one of the Best Scheme in India, from the Government of India. Government of India is ensuring employment for all, through this scheme by reaching to every nook and corner of India.
Hope our article is helpful to understand and know about importance of MGNREGA. All the information provided in this article is for information only. If you feel the information is in violation of copyright policies or rights or if any other correction is required in the information which you feel is wrongly said or conveyed, Please email firstname.lastname@example.org. We will review your request and act accordingly.